Great video of Donnie Shankle making his way back from injury. If you’re having shoulder issues, add some of these warmup/strengthening movements.
Even GREATER video of our own Coach Gough rockin’ 14.1 in jeans and boots. She wasn’t going to do it tonight but got so excited after Lex, Grady, and I did ours she borrowed a tshirt and went for it. In Omnia Paratus. I love this gym.
I’m posting this early so Outlaws will be informed about Monday and anyone doing theirs this afternoon can formulate their own strategy..
I’ve had all night (literally) to think about some strategies for 14.1 so I’m gonna make Monday a “redo” day if you want. I’ll also have an alternate WOD option if you never want to see 14.1 again.
First off, on paper this WOD doesn’t look that intimidating… relatively light and the # of DUers is less than what we typically do in Outlaw. I would have preferred much heavier because I think we would have had an advantage over “aerobicisers”. Having said that,
1. I think pacing is crucial to getting your best score. Coming out too fast caused myself, and what I witnessed in Scot, to go into deep oxygen-debt too quickly. Everyone I talked to felt like the air had been sucked out of the room. This one’s a gasser. Breaking the snatches early (even in the 1st round) will save you valuable time in later rounds. I’m recommending 5-5-5 with a VERY short break or you may be doing sets of 3 later on and staring at your barbell on the floor for 10 seconds waiting for oxygen to return to your brain. I’m going to attempt to keep all my rounds the same. 1min 15sec per round gives you 8 rounds. 1min 25 sec = 7 rds. 1min 40sec = 6 rds. 2min = 5 res. KEEP THEM THE SAME!
2. You HAVE to do your DUers unbroken. It wastes so much time getting started again. Again, pacing the snatches will give you the best coordination when it’s time to pick up the rope.
3. Muscle snatches are fastest and will fatigue your legs far less than power snatches, so muscle them as long as possible.
4. You might try a little narrower hand spacing than you typically use to snatch with to save your grip.
5. Other than that, you just have to grit your teeth and keep lifting the barbell. You will be gassed but it’s light enough to work through. WILL yourself to pick it up and keep moving.
1) 3 attempts at a medium heavy snatch… nothing over 85%. Stop.
2) 3 attempts at a medium heavy clean and jerk… nothing over 85%. Stop.
Redo Open WOD 14.1
7x Thruster @ 115/78
7x C2B pullup
CFV Monday WOD
20x Front squat @205/135
30x Box jump 30/24
40x KBS 53/35
50x Wallball 20/14